In the early 1800s, the few Catholics residing in the area of Rye, Harrison and Port Chester attended services presided over by missionary priests and conducted primarily in the Village of Port Chester. In 1854, when Our Lady of Mercy parish was established in Port Chester, Rye and Harrison Catholics became parishioners there. With the large number of Irish and German immigrants arriving in the area between 1840 and 1880, followed by Italians in 1880, a major impact was being made on the existing parish in Port Chester. In the mid-1870s, the growing number of Catholics in the Rye community began to sponsor a movement for a church of their own. At the same time, the parish in Port Chester was also growing and in need of a new church of its own. The Church of the Resurrection was established in 1880 as the Parish of the Resurrection Rye/Harrison by John Cardinal McCloskey, Archdiocese of New York.
On June 6, 1880, the first Mass at Rye was offered by Father John McEvoy at Morrison’s Hall, located at the Northeast corner of Cedar and Purchase Streets. Services were held in this rented hall and subsequently in the William Smith house at the juncture of Purchase Street and Boston Post Road, purchased in 1881 for $5,500. On January 29, 1886, the Church of the Resurrection was incorporated under New York State laws, with title transferred from the Archdiocese to the parish. The parish raised funds and began work on a new church on Purchase Street in December 1887. The church was completed and dedicated in 1889. The vacated church was converted into a rectory in 1890.
The parish flourished in the ensuing years. Parishioners worked to create a parochial school, beginning to teach students in 1905. Construction began on Boston Post Road in 1906, with the building completed in 1908. Classrooms held 300 pupils and an assembly hall seated 500. The parish continued to grow and additional property was purchased in 1927, which is the site of today’s church, rectory, former convent and Resurrection School. Ground was broken in 1927, and the church was erected at an estimated cost of $400,000. The first Mass was celebrated on Easter Sunday, 1931.